Tehsil Khanpur is one of the four tehsils of district Rahim Yar Khan.
It spreads over an area of 1,246 square kilometres with a population
of 683, 865 (as per DCR 1998).
On the north side of the Khanpur city, river Sindh flows and Tehsil
Rajanpur is situated. Whereas, south of the city borders with desert
Cholistan. Tehsil Liaqatpur is in the east and Rahim Yar Khan is in
the west of Khanpur.
Khanpur was raised to the level of
Municipal Committee in 1874. After the implementation of Punjab
Local Government Ordinance 2001, it was given the status of TMA.